Guns can be a controversial topic but the thing about the pieces called 80% lowers is that they are not legally considered guns. Why is this? Well, that is great question which shall be answered along with some other very important questions concerning them.
- An 80% lowers, legally speaking, is a piece of material which is partially completed and requires special tooling to become an actual gun. This is different than a firearm receiver because the owner does not have to pass through an FFL holder.
- Dealers can get away selling these to people with no background check because the ATF has ruled that the pieces do not constitute an actual firearm.
- The owner does not need to have an FFL to manufacture their own firearm. As long as they are legally able to own the firearm, they will be able to make their own firearm.
- The recommended tools to make the 80% lowers are a variety of drill presses. Also, manual mills can be used. These tools can be easily purchased off of sites such as Craiglist. Once you have the tool of your choice, the gun making process can begin.
- The owner is not legally required to engrave