The process of geolocation makes use of the location services of the device in order to provide the location of a particular person at any point in time. There are many advantages of using geolocation in the mobile applications. Displaying the data of weather conditions of a particular location, navigation to various location, or finding the address of a nearby restaurant. The geolocation services in the portable devices are very useful in situations when a person’s device is stolen or lost.
Benefits of portable geolocations
- These services, when installed in any mobile device, can work with all network operators. Since these are an inbuilt feature that mobile manufacturing, companies provide in their handsets, makes them compatible with any network operator the mobile user uses.
- The geolocation services have many benefits. This is the reason why all the mobile brands, whether big or small, add this feature to their cell phones. Therefore, you can buy a smartphone of any brand and still can gain benefits of geolocation services.
- The device containing geolocation feature is traceable from any location at any point of time until the device has an active internet connection. This comes very handily if your device is lost or stolen. If you request any tracking agency to localiser mon appareil then they can easily make use of the geo locator in the device and track its location.
How do they work?
- Device Based – Devices like smartphones, tablets, and laptops make the most efficient use of the geolocation. The data collection based on devices relies on the GPS and the cellular network the device contains. The GPS chip and the signal sent by the cellular network of the devices interact with the nearest tower signal and provides the location of your device. However, users have to allow necessary permissions to make the device locatable, or at least the device must have an active internet connection. This method is best for finding the city-specific information of a location.
- Server Based – This is another method of locating a device. In this method, the device tracking agencies make use of the data collected from the IP address of the device through the various Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections. The databases that store the IP address have access to the physical locations associated with the addresses. Several agencies make use of these type of databases to track the location of a device. This method is very useful to locate a laptop and best suits for country-specific location information. As the databases may vary from place to place, the agency using this method of tracking are as good as their databases.
- Combined Collection of data – The server-based data returns the mapped location of the server and not the person. This is why the combined use of both devices based and server-based data is more accurate to track the location of the device.
Irrespective of the reason of using the geolocation, they provide a great facility in case of emergencies. With advancement in the technology, geolocation services will keep on improving and their accuracy will keep on increasing.